Is it possible to trace LTE protocols (like in QXDM for Qualcomm modems) for Sara N2 modem?

0 votes
I am having problems accessing my network with Sara N211. What would really help me is to be able to trace the L3 protocols (RRC and NAS) and maybe even MAC (similarly as it is in case of QXDM for Qualcomm modems). Is there such a possibility with Ublox NB-IoT modems?
by dextras asked Feb 9
0 votes
It turns out it is possible.

Sara N2 modems are based on HiSilicon Neul Hi2110 chipset, which is owned by Huawei. According to Huawei's website: http://developer.huawei.com/ict/en/site-iot/article/end-to-end it is possible to trace these modems but one have to have access to UELogViewer application. That is it.
by dextras answered Jun 6
Flag
Best answer
0 votes
I don't know if u-blox provides such tools as typically they are Intellectual property of chip manufacturer.

This approach seems extreme as I would think that you should first check if SIM card is correct, that you have coverage, that SARA-N2 is working and can see networks, etc, etc...
by grumpy answered Feb 13
Hi grympy!
Thanks for your answer.

My question was if there are any tools similar to the one provided by for example Qualcomm which is, we could say, one of the biggest chip manufacturer for mobile devices. Qualcomm still provides a way to access tracing of 3GPP standardized messages while hiding the one which are internal to their design (QXDM). But what about U-blox owned Sara-N2? There should be some tools available, even requiring a special license, to trace such messages.

Why would I like to even trace it? For example to check what is being broadcasted by my own cell in the lab (I work for one of the equipment vendors) as well as to check if the modem "understands" it correctly. It just makes my life easier :)

So again thanks for your answer - it seems there is nothing available though :(
SARA-N2 is not based on Qualcomm chipset so QXDM tools will not work with it.  I would suggest checking directly with u-blox by registering your project to see if there are some special tools for SARA-N2.
Again, typically connection issue are related to SIM or network or APN settings and resolution would not require trace tools especially since you may not be able to decode data anyway.
Talk with u-blox directly (register the project and ask questions) as they may be able to advise you on how to solve the issue without any trace tools.
As I have stated above:
Why would I like to even trace it? For example to check what is being broadcasted by my own cell in the lab (I work for one of the equipment vendors) as well as to check if the modem "understands" it correctly. It just makes my life easier :)

I found a way finally ;) I will share my findings in an answer.
0 votes
Hi, It may be possible with your version of modem but I don't know for sure since I'm using the SARA-R410M-02B with CAT-M radio technology mode. I'm using QXDM 4.0 with Qualcomm modem and usb drivers on a Win7 laptop PC with the UBlox device connected to the PC over USB. In QXDM, I can see all the call flow messages with the UBlox device. For QXDM, you will need to buy a annual license for the USB dongle. If still interested, please check with the UBlox support or Sales to see if N2 modem can support this kind of configuration. Best of luck.
by Edcoder answered May 30
website banner