u-center does not detect gps (ublox neo 6m)

0 votes
by kayo999 asked Apr 30, 2016
0 votes
When asking technical questions it helps if you provide context and foundation.

What board specifically are you using? Provide cites to specific product websites

How do you have that wired/connected to the computer? Serial, USB, etc

What version of Windows?

If USB, does it show up in Device Manager, and as what COM port?
by clive1 answered Apr 30, 2016
Sorry about that bro.

1. I'm using a windows 10 computer.

2.  The gps receiver is wired to the computer via a usb serial adapter: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CH340G-CH340-USB-Serial-adapter-for-Arduino-mini-pro-not-FTDI-232-PL2303-CP2102-/131599432606

3. The GPS receiver is a neo6mv2 gps ublox module: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231859809745?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

4. The u-center software is the version 8.21

5. The USB does show up at the device manager as USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM 5). The u center software has been set to COM 5 as well.

Everything appears to be set up correctly but the u-centre software does not appear to recognize or identify the gps receiver
Win10 complicates things, but lets start with other aspects.

The boards described should allow connectivity at 9600 baud. Make sure that you wire TX of the GYGPS to the RX of the USB-CMOS Serial, and RX to TX

You should be able to see NMEA data stream via the "Text View", and via "Message View" UBX-MON-VER should allow you to identify the u-blox chip.

You should place the antenna outside or near a window (not North facing), GPS does not work well indoors. You'd expect to see the power LED on, and a TP (time pulse) LED blinking once per second.

I've used a number of these GYGPS boards successfully.
Hello

I do not know if the problem if kayo999 is the same for me: I can not receive anything from my GPS.

It is a WaveShare  neo-6M  http://www.waveshare.com/uart-gps-neo-6m.htm

First, I connected it to a Raspberry with Raspbian Wheezy where nothing could be received with minicom. Even without sat fix I would expect some telegrams.

Then I switched to Windows 7 Pro with u-Center 8.21 and two different USB to Serial Adapters:
- Prolific 3V/5V Adapter to COM7
- CP2102-chip Adapter to COM19

My findings with the Prolific (it is the same with the CH-Adapter):
- the power LED on the GPS board is on
- the RX-LED on the Prolific Adapter is blinking once a second
- with an Oszi you can see that some telegrams are sent once a second:
   - the bit width of 104us seems to be OK for 9600 baud
   - the voltage level between 3V and 0V seems also OK (it is the same with a MTK GPS)

Nevertheless, I can not receive anything. In u-center  I checked all baud rates as well as "autobauding". Sending data with u-center results in some error like "polling timeout".

For reference, I connected a GPS board with MTK3339 in the same way and I could see the NMEA telegrams in u-center immediately, i.e. the connection and the handling should be OK. The problem appears not only in u-center but also with other serial terminals.

Since there are some bits on the line and the timing and voltage level seems OK (at least similar to the MTK which is functioning), I am wondering if some problems with low level telegram (parity, data bits, stop bits...) are known or if my device is broken.
These are perhaps issues you need to take up with your board vendors.

The GYGPS board takes 5V, outputs on TX pin, which need to connect to the RX (receive) side of your USB-to-CMOS Serial adapters. Data will be output in NMEA format at 9600 8N1 at the top-of-second, unless the board has been configured otherwise. Without satellites you will get somewhat empty NMEA sentences.

There should be no need for uCenter to auto-baud, pick the correct COM port, and baud rate, and it should work.

For uBlox6 device this might be expected with no antenna attached
$GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
$GPGSV,1,1,00*79
Hello clive1, thank you for your message.

In the meantime I received another neo-M6 module and connected it exactly in the same way as the previous one. With this new module I immediately could receive the NMEA sentences like shown in your example.
My first module seems to be broken, but the new one runs successfully attached to a raspberry now...

Just another update:

I tested my "broken" module with a FTDI USB converter and could instantly receive data as expected. So there seems to be not a problem with the telegram but with the electric characteristic of the signal (spikes, floating level...). I do not have the possibilities for a deeper investigation, but when I use a 74HC245 bus transceiver powered with Vcc=3.3V for the data lines I can receive the telegrams with all my USB devices.
website banner